Friday, October 26, 2012

Fitness class and tears...


Tuesday, October 23
Our day started bright and early because this is the day that our fitness classes began.  We opted for two days a week at 7:00 am, Tuesdays and Thursdays for 6 weeks.  Jaden’s babysitter is able to be at school then, so we meet there, have our exercise class and then shower at the school.  Samia packed us a breakfast to eat after exercise class and before our lessons began for the day. 



Daniel wanted to see what level we were at physically, so we took a walk toward Monte Verde.  We are familiar with this road because that is where Samia works.  One of the downfalls of this restaurant is that it is on a mountain and it is not easy for people to get to it (especially in the dark and the rain).  As we reached the base of the hill, Daniel instructed us to run up the hill and try not to stop until we reach the restaurant.  Now, I was out of breath Sunday night just walking up this hill mountain… he wanted me to run!?!?  I did my best.  Once we reached level ground, we walked a little farther up the road and then Daniel pointed to a little path of the side of the road and said “Now, this way.”  Are you serious?  The path was nothing more than a narrow mud slide down the side of the mountain.  He told us that the walk up to the indigenous people was much like this for a 5 hour climb, so we are going to train on the side of a mountain to build our endurance.  He instructed us to walk to the bottom and turn around and run up like wild dogs are chasing us.  Now, let me be clear, just walking down this mountain was slippery and difficult… running up was near impossible.  He was handing out 10 points to the first person who fell… guess who won 20 points?  I had muddy palm prints on my shirt and a muddy bottom to prove it.



After this fitness test, we headed back to CISA to do a few push-ups and cool-downs.  Jaden joined us for our stretching exercises.  We showered, ate breakfast and started class at about 8:20… I did not like the feeling of being rushed to get ready and eat before class, but we don’t really have a choice.  Oh well.


Sonia and I had a great class.  I got to feel like a kindergartener again.  She gave me scissors, paper, a glue stick and markers.  She helped me cut out the pictures from a comic strip and she instructed me to make my own story to go with the pictures, in Spanish of course.  She even hung my work on the wall when I was done.  My, how the roles have reversed?!? 



 

One of the other things we worked on was just having a conversation.  We spent the last 90 min. of class just talking.  I was able to tell her the wonderful story of our journey to CISA and the great blessings that God had granted us along the way.  She was moved to tears upon hearing about the generosity of our church family, and all the while I WAS SPEAKING IN SPANISH.  The very reason we are here, and I was able to tell that story in Spanish (besides words like “fundraiser” and a few other difficult words)!!!  Praise the Lord!



Wednesday, October 24
Today, Sonia and I had another emotional moment.  As she wrote the date on another project she had me make (a collage with random pictures and I had to write a story to go along with it), she shared with me that her mother passed away 9 years ago today.  She talked for a long time about how much she misses her mom.  She spent time with her every day.  She ate with her, cooked for her, talked with her, rode her bike to her house EVERYDAY.  The year she passed away, her mother told her she wanted to celebrate her birthday early (Sonia’s birthday is Oct. 28).  She didn’t know that would be the last time she would celebrate it with her mother. 


This evening, Jaden was entertaining himself while Eddie and I were working on our homework.  He was "reading" his Storybook Bible (thank you Aker family)... check our Facebook for a cute video...

and trying to jump...
We are so thankful to have our healthy, happy baby boy back... those few days where he was sick, he just wasn't himself.  We thank God everyday for giving us a healthy child... knowing full well there are plenty of children in this world who are not healthy.  We are thankful and give all glory to God.  With out His blessings like this, we would not be able to be here in Costa Rica learning a new language and discovering more about God's beautiful creation.


Thursday, October 25
Fitness class once again… this means we have to carry a lot of things with us to school: a change of clothes, shower stuff, towels, our breakfast, water bottles, our books for class, our computers for our culture class presentations, Jaden’s diaper bag, Jaden’s medicine, Jaden, and of course our rain gear in case it is raining on our way home (don’t want to get our computers wet.)  This makes for an exhausting walk and is the only time I dread our walk to class.
This beautiful rainbow made our walk a lot more enjoyable this morning.  Thank you, God, for you reminder of your promises.  



Daniel had us working on abs today.  We discovered that Eddie and I have very different enjoyment levels when it comes to working out.  I hate it, and Eddie loves it.  One thing that encouraged me today was that the ab-work-out was do-able for me (where-as the running up hills was difficult for me).  Eddie hated the ab-work-out and enjoys the running work-out.  We are very different.  Work out #2: completed.  We showered, inhaled our breakfast and headed to class.



More tears… I guess it is just that time, ya know?  I was very frustrated with my homework assignment last night, and I shared that with Sonia.  My assignment was to pick a parable from the Bible and tell her about it in class.  I did not think it would be too difficult.  I chose “The Good Samaritan.”  I did my best to tell her about it, but there were so many words I did not know.  I was frustrated because I felt like I had to tell the story in past tense because it happened in the past.   The problem is, I only know how to speak in the present tense and I didn’t know words such as: priest, Levite, robber, attacked, left for dead… etc.  When I finished, she handed me a Gospel Cube.  She asked if I knew what was.  I did, so she asked me to tell her about it.  I didn’t think I could and it was written all over my face.  She said, “You don’t think you can, but you can, you can, you can.”  Well, once I got going, I discovered I could.  She spent some time encouraging me again and I couldn't hold back the tears of joy at being reassured that I am actually learning something.  And I’ve realized that Gary Chapman is right: “words of encouragement” is definitely one of my top love languages.  Thank you, God, for providing a teacher who “speaks my language.”



When we returned home to catch some rest before Eddie had band practice, Samia invited us to her dance exercise class at 7 pm.  I really wanted to go, but Eddie couldn’t because of the youth band practice that evening.



Let me back up for a second.  I think I neglected to share with you some important news from last week.  Eddie and I had a meeting with Hector after he returned from California and after we were all healthy again.  This was a big meeting because he put a lot of responsibility on Eddie’s shoulders.  Hector told us that he was so amazed at how God works, because he could see that God had brought us to CISA just when CISA needed us.  He laid out three opportunities for Eddie:
1. He wants Eddie and Amanda to be in charge of the youth band (which does not really exist yet). 
2. He also wants Eddie to take over leading the youth group in January (or before).  
3. He asked Eddie to disciple Josué in hopes that Josué can eventually take over the youth group after we leave.  He also wants us to take time to meet with the each of the teens from the youth group one or two at a time, and get to know them better. 



Eddie is so pumped because those are three things he is passionate about: youth, music, and discipleship!  God is allowing Eddie to use his God-given gifts in Spanish!  That is where we need your help… Eddie is nervous about the language barrier and we would appreciate your prayers for guidance and peace as he takes on these new roles here at CISA.  Hector made a good point: he said that those are things we want to do in Spanish when we leave CISA so it will be good for us to practice them while we are here.



Anyway, back to today.  Eddie was meeting with Josué at 4:00 to go over the two songs before the rest of the band showed up.  Practice was at 5:00 and they did not get finished until 7:00.  Eddie then stayed after with Josué to go over a few more things for another hour.  In the mean time, Jaden stayed home with Jimena and José Pablo while I went to the dance class with Freddy, Samia, Gabby and her son Gabriel.  I LOVED IT!  We met in a random empty building about 10 min. away (by car).  There were 25-30 women, 2 men (including Freddy) and our male instructor.  It cost about $2 and he just played Latino music and demonstrated dance/exercise steps for an hour.  It was exhausting, but so much fun.  I was imagining that I was on “Dancing with the Stars” even though I am not a star and I am definitely not a good dancer (Princess? Yes! Star? No.)  They go every Tuesday and Thursday night and I hope to go with them from now on.



Friday, October 26
This morning, we were able to sleep in until 7:15!!! Yeah!  Thanks, Jaden!  Eddie wanted to take a turn going to Turrialba today, so he made plans to meet Amanda on the 9:00 bus.  He rode with José Pablo for about 15 min.  He had to get off at his school for band practice.  Eddie called me and said, “Call Amanda because she was not at her bus stop.  Hurry because José Pablo has to get off soon.”  I called her and she answered the phone with “Where are you? I’m on the bus and you are not here.”  I told her it was me, and that Eddie is on the bus, but that there must be two 9:00 buses and they ended up on different ones.  The problem is, Eddie and I only have one phone.  He left it with me because he would be with Amanda and Jennea who each have a phone.  That way we can communicate.  This was problem because Eddie could only use José Pablo’s phone until he had to get off.  Well… praise the Lord, they found each other at the bus stop and all is well. 



My morning started off with a bit of an adventure, too.  I wanted to go to the store in Tuis with Jaden (a short 10 min. walk).  I left the house before Eddie and knew that when I returned, it would be to an empty house.  As I was leaving the store, I had to go to the bathroom sooooo bad.   I didn’t think I would make it, but then I saw Freddy’s cousin who lives across the street from the grocery store in Tuis.  She was outside in her garage talking on the phone.  I went to her and asked if I could please use her bathroom (PS… I miss my pre-baby bladder).   After that, I headed home.  I walked about 20 seconds before I realized, “Uh oh… I don’t have a key.  If they locked the back door, I have no way to get in the house.”  I realized it was my fault for leaving the house without a key, but I didn’t know what to do about it.  No one was due home for hours and all I had in my bag were cookies and toilet paper from the store and my phone and some money.  When I got to house, my fear was confirmed… Jaden and I were locked out!  But… who was watching over me?  God… praise the Lord for neighbors with a key.  I saw Samia’s sister sitting near the window inside her house so I told her in Spanish “I can’t enter the house.  And no one is home.”  Her husband had a key and opened the door for me.  I was so thankful and hopefully I learned my lesson!!!

Jaden and I had a relaxing morning and when Samia came home, she made us lunch.  Now we are just resting and waiting for Eddie to come home from Turrialba.


1 comment:

  1. Glad you're all feeling better now! Love reading about your adventures. WE MISS YOU THOUGH!

    ReplyDelete