Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Weekend Adventures


Saturday, October 27
We were able to eat breakfast this morning with the whole family together.  After breakfast, I spent time playing outside with Jaden while Eddie tried to fix his hair clippers.  These two gentlemen came walking up and introduced themselves.   I quickly told them that I don’t speak much Spanish and they switched to the little bit of English they knew.  They also introduced themselves to Eddie and we quickly realized that they were Jehovah’s Witnesses.  Eddie politely entered into conversation with them and slyly slipped in (in Spanish) that we are Christians and that our beliefs are different.  He proceeded to discuss the Gospel with them in Spanish as best he could.  He even went into the house and got his Spanish/English Bible to share with them some verses that are different in our Bible than theirs which make the two religions very different.  They tend to claim that they believe the same things we do, but the differences in their Bible compared to ours are tiny, yet big in significance.  
One example is John 1:1 “In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.”
In their Bible it says “…and the Word was a god.”
That one little word makes a huge difference in meaning.  We are not one to make a big deal with debates, but we do find it important to declare our belief in the One True God.

As Eddie spoke with them for about an hour, I was chasing Jaden around, in and out of the house.  Freddy was inside cleaning and he had gotten out his Bible and was sitting and listening to them.  I told him that Eddie loves opportunities like this where he can share the Gospel, even if they aren’t willing to accept.  After they left, Eddie and Freddy got to talk a bit about it and Freddy shared a few other key verses that Eddie could have used.  Eddie made sure to take notes and be prepared for next time.

Later, we went for a walk with Freddy, Jimena, Jose Pablo, and Jaden.  We found a tree with oranges on it so Freddy climbed up and stood on the branch so we could reach them.  

They were very sour, but Freddy made a bag out of a leaf and took them home.  We also stopped at a spot where Samia and Freddy used to go when they were dating to have picnics.
 After we got back, we watched the Amazing Spiderman in Spanish.  After watching it in English (twice) recently, it was interesting to watch it in Spanish and understand what they were saying.  I decided to make banana bread so it could bake while I finished watching the movie.  Things did not go as planned.  Since I made it here once before, I thought I would have no problems.  I proceeded to set out all of the ingredients and supplies I would need (that was a process just to find them).  I had everything so I started mixing.  The last thing I needed was baking powder, and I had to open a new packet.  When I went to measure it, I discovered that this was a packet of yeast, not baking powder (because the words in Spanish for both are very similar).  Eddie wanted to go for a run, so he ran to the store for me.  When he returned, he had bought… you guessed it… yeast.  Back to the store he went where his new best friend helped him to locate baking powder and returned so I could finish baking.  In the end it was delicious even though it took me an extra hour to make it.


This evening, we had Youth Group.  Eddie and Eddie and Amanda reunited to sing once again.  They sang one song in Spanish and taught the kids “Open the Eyes of My Heart” in Spanish. 

 
Eddie was also in charge planning the game so we played “Spear Fish” in Spanish.  It was a distinct resemblance to an evening with the youth group at Lifepointe Church… but in Spanish. 
Spear Fish

Upon our arrival home, we ate a late dinner and readied Jaden for bed.  I heard some commotion in the living room so I poked my head out of the bedroom.  I discovered José Pablo with quite a fearful look on his face and in his tone of voice, although I had no idea what was wrong.  Freddy and Eddie came into the living room and Eddie got a glimpse of the problem: 
The reason José Pablo had his whole body pearched on the couch.  
(PS Eddie only got this close cuz Freddy killed it)

Freddy said he has NEVER had a scorpion in his home and he has lived there for 12 years.  He was in shock and I was prepared for nightmares.
















Sunday, October 28
We finally had a chance to attend church together as a “whole” family today.  Freddy did not have to work, so we took took the opportunity to get a family photo:

Jennea and Amanda












And of course we cannot forget our “new little sister” Jennea.























After church, we took a drive with Freddy to the next town past Tuis.  He gave a woman from church a ride home and we saw that she had to walk very far, but she comes to church every Sunday.  This is the view from our drive.  

 
Costa Rica is known as the a green country.  We can see why!  The views are never ending and always green and gorgeous.  




















Freddy also showed us a factory where they process sugar cane.  We see trucks driving down the road all the time carrying loads of sugar cane.  I now can assume that they are transporting them to this factory for processing.  I would have loved to check it out (and what I really mean is I would have loved to try the sweetness that comes from that process).

Rancho Tipico Dulce






Freddy’s mom traveled by bus from Limon today and she arrived soon after we ate lunch.  She is such a sweet woman and she happily stayed in the house to listen for Jaden (who took a 3 ½ hour nap) while we played fútbol with some people in the plaza.  We played four on four and I got to be the goalie (a.k.a: the lazy team member who didn’t run very much but has bruises from being hit by the ball).  We did well at the beginning, but the locals have a lot more endurance and skill than we do… they took us down.


I also spoke to my mom this afternoon and was excited to learn that she has purchased tickets for my Dad and her to come for a visit in November.  They are excited to see where we live and to see Jaden.  I’m not too sure they will be excited to learn that this is one of Jaden’s new favorite past-times: 

No comments:

Post a Comment