Monday, March 11, 2013

5-Mile Hike!


Saturday, March 9
Rain or shine, we were going on our hike today.  Thankfully, God gave us SUN!  During breakfast, we got a glimpse of the sun and decided to head out as quick as possible. Maidena wasn’t sure she could make it on that hike so she offered to stay home with Jaden.  We left her a house key and one of our phones so she could reach us.  She distracted Jaden with a trip to the playground while we headed out for our hike.

We hadn’t even made it out of Tuis before encountering our first adventure.  Some boys were hanging out on the bridge and as we passed they pointed out to Eddie a little black kitten stranded on the rocks near the river.  She was cold and wet and looked very scared.  I decided to try to get it and at least set it on dry land so she could find her way to some food or a safe home.  I followed the path down to the bank of the river and looked for the kitten.  She was scared so she was hiding in a hole out of my reach.  I climbed up a step or two onto some rocks when suddenly, a rock gave out from under me… I steadied myself and then that one gave out too.  I lost my balance and fell backwards onto my hands.  All would have been fine if a stupid boulder hadn’t landed on my finger in the process!  As soon as I looked at it, it was purple under the nail.  My first thought: “I’m gonna loose a fingernail.”  

As I dusted myself off, and searched for the cat, I realized I was not going to be able to reach it and now I was in pain.  Eddie came down to check on me and I was starting to feel a bit dizzy.  I sat on a rock and sipped a bit of water until my head cleared.  We climbed back up the the bridge and headed to meet Kirsten and Ryan and family at the start of the hike.  My finger was throbbing, but I could walk.  As we headed up the road, we got a phone call from Maidena.  She was concerned because Jaden got bit by ants.  She decided to take him home and play inside with him.

Finally, we were ready to begin.  The trail that we planned to hike goes up into the mountains starting in Tuis and ends at the first bus stop in La Suiza (a 15 minute bus ride).  We had no idea how long the trail was or how long it would take us, but we were determined.  Plus, God had answered our prayer and it wasn’t raining.

Eddie was tracking our progress with his iPod and we figured that we walked a total of 5 ½ miles.  It was a gorgeous walk, and the sun was actually shining!  We set a pretty steady pace and Noah and Ocean walked the whole way!  They are some tough 3 and 4 year-old boys!

A view of Tuis
Same view zoomed in.  Our house is the teal-green one with the red roof
in the center just below the red and white tower.  Can you find it?
What a cool bug!  God is creative!
"If you poke your eye out with that horn, don't come looking for me!"
 What a life... their house was up on the mountain... miles from town.
What a life?!?!  This house was up on
the mountain, miles from town.
More cows
The Morgue Family: Ezra, Kirsten, Ocean, Ryan and Noah
 Kathy, Eddie, me, and Alison (ps... check out Eddie's foot attire - socks with water shoes)
Kathy, Eddie, Deanna and Alison
(p.s.  Check out Eddie's foot attire: socks with water shoes)
I know... you are thinking "more cows."
But, that was what we saw.
Plus, the one on the left looks like a goat-cow.
 These branches will be used to make more fences and the fences "grow" roots and continue to be trees.
Fences made from branches that grow roots and
continue to grow as trees are popular around here.
It fascinates me that they can plant a branch and it continue to grow.

Near the end of our hike, we stopped at a familiar spot where there is a small waterfall and an area of the river that is deep enough to jump in.  We were all hot and sweaty.  After a quick snack of banana bread and grapes, we jumped in.  It was a perfect rest stop after the 2 ½ hour hike.  









King of the Rock
Family "fofo"
Sistas!!!
After cooling off, taking some pics, and resting, we packed up and headed down the remainder of the trail to the bus stop.  

What a view!  The pictures just don't do it justice, but I tried...  You gotta come hear and check it out for yourself.  It is a beautiful country!
Crossing the river.
BLUE SKY!!!
Selfie of me and my cute hiking partner.
We have more hikes in our near future.
Stay tuned.
The sun is shining! Praise the Lord!
The Morgue family went to the super market and we headed home.  We stopped for some ice cream popsicles to thank Maidena for watching Jaden.  He was napping when we got home, but she said that they had a great time together.

After showering and warming up and resting a bit, we made dinner and played a few card games.  Eddie spent time practicing his sermon and the ladies got packed up so they would be ready to leave in the morning.

1 comment: