Monday, March 11, 2013

Alison is Here!!!


Tuesday, March 5
In class with Patricia today, we studied more new verb forms (it never ends).  Deidre was not feeling well so she canceled Zumba.  When Jaden woke up from his nap, we went for a walk to the Supermarket in Tuis.   Jaden is like the mayor… even people I don’t know say “Hola Jaden!” and he waves at everyone!  On the way home, I decided to visit Gabby and invited her to bible study.  Eddie was in La Suiza playing basketball with Ryan and ended up taking a taxi home.  Gabby sent me home with her umbrella because it was raining and she knew I didn’t have one.  Josué came over to discuss the Bible study with Eddie, but when 7:00 rolled around, no one showed up.  We finished our homework and went to bed early.

Wednesday, March 6
Eddie “ditched” class today and went for a walk with Kirsten, Ryan, and their teacher Karen.  They took the trail that stretches from Tuis to La Suiza through the mountains.  They only went about half way so that they could get back to school on time.  They saw 3 toucans while walking on the trail.  We have never seen them here before, so I was wishing I had joined them but Deidre and Patricia did not want to go Plus, every minute of class time with Patricia is beneficial so I didn’t want to miss out.

When Jaden woke up from his daily 3 hour nap, I took him for a walk again in search of bananas for banana bread.  We went to 3 different stores in Tuis and none of them had bananas, so I substituted with the strawberries I had in our fridge at home.  It turned out pretty good and I even got a chance to share it with Gabby.  She came over because she was visiting her cousing (who happens to be my neighbor) and she needed an umbrella.  Gabby and I visited for a few minutes and I got a chance to give back her umbrella.  I love that God works out even the smallest details!

Thursday, March 7
In Culture Class today, we talked about National Women’s Day – El diá de la mujer.  It is sad to know that I really didn’t know this day existed in the world and yet it’s history is kind of important in regards to women’s rights and in creating awareness about women who are victimized all over the world and doing something about it.
The kids also did their presentation on the song "Head and Shoulders Knees and Toes."  It was pretty cute to see them try even though they were a bit timid.

Eddie and Hector also decided it would be fun to make a “Harlem Shake” video with all the students and teachers.  I love that we attend such a FUN school!  Gatica was the star of the video, and you may have already seen it on Eddie’s Facebook.  If not, go check it out! 

We said goodbye to Deidre (for real this time) and had a graduation for Stephanie.

When we returned to class, Patricia showed us a movie in Spanish that you can find on YouTube called, “El Estudiante.”  There are several sections, and we watched the first three (about 15 min each).  Our homework is to finish watching it, but we have poor internet so I don’t know if that will work. 

As we watched the movie, I was also watching my watch.  I knew that my sister and her friends would be arriving in Tuis at about 11:45 and that they would not know where to go.  I slipped out at about that time and went to meet Alison and her friends at the bus stop.  I was late so I found them wandering around the streets of Tuis!  They had asked several people where the Mission was, but unfortunately those people did not know where it was.  They had been heading in the right direction when I found them, but the lady they were talking to was just about to send them back the way they came.  Thankfully they saw me coming and headed in the right direction.  I was so excited to see them!  I am so glad Alison got to come to Costa Rica to hang out with us for a few days.

I brought them to our house and introduced them to Gatica.  Then we went back to the school to meet more people and headed back home to eat lunch.   Later, it was nap time for Jaden and Maidena, so Kathy and Alison and I just relaxed and chatted about their trip thus far. 

Eddie had a Skype appointment so he went to Kirsten and Ryan’s house for good Internet.  After everyone woke up, we took the bus and any left over food we had and joined them for dinner.  Of course, when we stopped at the store, Auntie Alison couldn't resist spoiling Jaden with a Snickers bar while we waited for the bus.

Once we arrived around 4:15, we decided to take advantage of the daylight hours left and go exploring.  Kathy taught me about bananas and how to know they are ready to come down off the tree.  That pod at the bottom is the indicator and each day a leaf falls off of it.  When the pod is gone, the bananas should be ready.
























We also found a panaderia (a bakery) near Kirsten and Ryan's house and bought fresh bread hot out of the oven.  

We started walking along the road and came upon the hill to walk to April’s house.  We decided to give it a try and she welcomed us into her home after our strenuous walk up the hill.  This is the view from the top of April's driveway:
Maidena, Alison, and Kathy enjoying the
view from April's house.
After some water, a bunch of bananas, and a little small talk, we headed back to the house before it got too dark.  We hung out and at Kirsten and Ryan’s house for a while and ate a dinner of bread, leftovers, and sour mango.  We discussed our plans for tomorrow and headed home.  As we waited for the bus, Daniel was driving by and he stopped and picked us up.  We stopped at Hector’s house on the way and picked up a few extra blankets and pillows for our guests.

On the way home, I asked him to drop me off in town because I wanted go help this little boy who asked me to help him with his homework in English.  He was so sweet.  He had nine sentences that he needed to translate and draw pictures of.  I listened as he translated and corrected as needed.  He did really well and I loved that little opportunity.  I hope I get more like that before we leave Tuis.

No comments:

Post a Comment