Sunday, November 4, 2012

New Week, New Student!

Monday, October 29
We began our day bright and early with our Fitness Class with Daniel.  We walked up a mountain in Tuis and I could barely breathe (let alone put one foot in front of another) after 20 minutes.  Daniel was easy on me, and after I rested a bit, I could continue on.  I thought after a month of walking most everywhere we need to go, I would be in better shape… Oh well!  I am working on it one step at a time.

Each Monday morning before class, we gather for announcements and a chance to tell everyone a little about our weekend (in Spanish of course).   Hector reminded us that there is a new requirement for our Culture Class presentations this week.  We are not allowed to “read” our presentations.  We have to just “know” what we are talking about.  The purpose of Culture Class is to show our progress in the language, kind of like a weekly “test.”  If we just read in Spanish, it does not show what we have learned.  I am dreading this, but I have to remind myself that if I keep it simple, I should be able to talk in Spanish without notes.

It was Sonia’s birthday yesterday, so I made her a birthday card with a message to thank her for being such a great teacher.  I gave it to her with a bag of almonds (her favorite) today.  It was a special moment, and soon after that Hector interrupted our class to introduce us to my new classmate, Rysen (like “rice 'n beans”).  Rysen is from Ontario, Canada but he has Spanish-speaking parents.  I am sure he will learn quickly.  According to Sonia, it is in his heart and he just has to learn to coax it out.  He definitely understands more than he speaks (which seems to be the norm when it comes to learning a new language).  That is a concept I never truly understood until about a month ago. 

Eddie and Amanda’s teacher invited us over for coffee today.  After class, we went home for a short bit and then headed to catch the 3:00 bus to go to her house.  While on the bus, Eddie got a text from Freddy.  He was telling us the good news of answered prayer.  This morning, Eddie prayed over Freddy’s mom because she had a doctor’s appointment today.  Freddy was going with her because she was very worried about a lump.  Freddy's text informed us that the doctor said it was nothing to worry about!  Praise Jesus!

We arrived at Karen’s house for coffee and a playdate.  She has an almost-two-year old son named Sael.  Her and her husband have a spacious house and Jaden was in heaven playing with all of Sael’s toys. 

We had a blast hanging out and talking with this sweet family!











Once we arrived home, we were exhausted.  We had dinner, put Jaden to bed, and started on our homework.  I was feeling sorry for Rysen because Sonia had given him Book 1 and told him to review all the chapters.  She also gave him the pack of Opposite Flashcards to work on.  Lastly, she assigned us both to write 10 sentences using the verbs “ser” and “estar.”  I only had to do the 10 sentences… Poor Rysen!

Tuesday, October 30

Today was my first full day of class with Rysen.  I was afraid I would be intimidated, but we seem to be on the same level.  He lived in Guatamala for 6 years until he was 12.  He is also taking extra classes in the afternoon… I fully expect him to surpass me soon, but for now, we are about on the same level.  When we play games and talk with Sonia, we are able to help each other when the other doesn’t understand.  Sonia even looks to me to explain things she knows I already know, so I guess that is good practice for me.

Today, she brought to maps to class so that we could each talk about where we are from.  The map of the USA was made of cloth and had bright, colorful pictures on each state to represent things you might find in that state.  I was able to talk about Norht Carolina, Florida, Indian, and Michigan in Spanish!  The map she brought of Canada for Rysen to use was actually just a map of North America.  His map was way less-cool than mine!  Poor Rysen… again.  It was interesting to learn some new things about Canada and to be reminded of my college days when Julie would tell me new things about Canada… It makes me miss my college rooomate.  Love you, Julie!!!

This evening, we had our Dance Exercise Class and Eddie joined us this time.  It is interesting to watch Eddie try to dance.  Let’s just say… we will need to keep practicing!

When we got home we had a late dinner and Samia seemed to be in a silly mood… or maybe she was anticipating the upcoming American holiday:




We stayed up too late dancing in the kitchen with Jaden, Freddy and Samia.  I am still amazed at how much Jaden loves to dance!

Wednesday, October 31
Happy Halloween!

I purchased a cow costume for Jaden last November for about $3, not knowing we would be spending this October in Costa Rica.  I didn’t want my bargain shopping to go to waste so I just had to try it on him before I packed it away into a box.  Too bad there is no Chick-Fil-A here!

Our day began with fitness class bright and early again… I am starting to get used to it and 
even enjoy it a little bit.  
(Shhh… don’t tell Daniel)

We were supposed to go to on our first field trip today.  Kerin’s father owns a farm in Tuis and we were going to have class there today.  Unfortunately, it rained all day so our field trip was canceled.  We hope to go another day.


I did not bring my books to class today because of our planned field trip, so we just ended up practicing talking in Spanish by playing games with Sonia.  The first game was “20 Questions” with animal flashcards.  The next game was to encourage us to speak in complete sentences.  We were to ask each other “yes” and “no” questions, but you would lose if your answer was only “yes” or “no.” 

We did get a special privilege today.  We were able to go on the first tour of: 
"Café de Tuis."  
A former student of CISA is here this week checking on the progress of his new business.  A coffee processing system was funded and built right here on the grounds of CISA, and their first coffee bean harvest is drying right now.   His name is Matt, and he and his family attended CISA for 6 months.  They now live in Guatemala and are using business as a means to do mission work. 

Matt gave us a tour and we learned a lot of new things about coffee.  It was also nice to be able to learn in English for a short time today.  I don’t even drink coffee, but now I know a lot about it!

Cafe de Tuis:

1.     The beans are delivered by truck to the “bath” to be gathered and washed down a trough to the machine.

2.     The water and the beans enter the machine that separates them into two different sizes (big and small).  The same machine sends them “between a rock and a hard place” to remove the shell.
 













   3.     The next area of the machine has brushes that remove the mucilage (which is the sweet fruit that surrounds the bean). 


      The lever you can see on the left can be set to different levels.  It can be set to remove all of the mucilage, leave it all on, or somewhere in the middle.  “Café de Tuis” has almost all of the mucilage left on it.  This is done to give the coffee a sweeter flavor. (Sounds good to me). 


4.     The next step is to drain the “dirty” water with the skin out into a field to be absorbed into the ground.
   
      5.     The clean water with the coffee beans travel down a pipe into a bin where the harvesters collect them with baskets with small slits in them to let the water out.

     6.     They pour the beans out onto big, long tables covered with plastic.  The beans must dry 90%.  The time this takes depends on the weather.  There are beans drying right now, and I think they have been out there over a week.  They have an instrument that measures the moisture.  Once the beans are at 10%, they can be collected and stored in at a comfortable temperature in a dry place for up to a year.

     7.     Once the coffee beans are purchased, the sacks are delivered to a third party where the beans are cleaned and tested.  Once the beans are cleaned, they must be sent to a roaster that the buyer is working with quickly because the clock is ticking.  The buyers can be from anywhere (USA, Europe, Canada… etc.)

8.     The roasters further separate the beans by size so that they can roast evenly.  Next time you open a bag of coffee beans, notice their size… they are all the same… that didn’t happen by accident.  
9.     Once roasted, the clock starts ticking faster.  They need to be in the hands of the consumer within three weeks or else the flavor begins to change. 
















   10.  You may now enjoy your first cup of “Café de Tuis.”

After class, Eddie and Amanda had homework to do together, but Jaden needed a nap.  I walked home with him, but he wanted to walk so I let him.  We usually carry him because he walk at his own pace and it takes 15 minutes even when we carry him.  He walked all the way until we got to a hill that is pretty steep just before we get home.  He turned around and put his arms out to me to carry him.  He walked almost the whole way. Where did my baby go?

When we got home, Samia was preparing to host a birthday party for her friend, Kerlim.  We ate chips and salsa, refried beans, “postre con carne” (which is like chicken pot pie but with beef instead of chicken and the thickness of pizza and a crust like an apple pie), and of course “queque.”  I just have to say though, the cake here is just not the same… maybe I will shed a few pounds without my favorite dessert readily available: cupcakes!

We ended the night with dancing and just enjoying watching Jaden dance… this kid’s got moves!!!

Thursday, November 1

Today was our busiest day yet in Costa Rica:
First we had our regular Spanish class, where I learned that Sonia put honey on her kids chest and back when they were sick with a cold and then wrapped them in newspaper.  She told me she didn’t know why, but it work.  Next time you have a sick kid, try it and tell me how it goes… cuz I probably won’t be trying that in the near future. 

Next, we had our regular Thursday Culture Class.  Rysen and I did a presentation on a special drink that is famous in the province of Puntarenas, Costa Rica.  It is called “Churchill” because a man who looked like Winston Churchill liked to drink it.  It has a lot of sweet stuff in it (which is why it piqued my interest): shaved ice, powdered milk, condensed milk, snow cone syrup, and ice cream.  After our presentation, we made it for our fellow students and teachers.

Jaden learning to play yet another instrument! Thanks Freddy!
After lunch, we had our first Bible Class in Spanish.  We learned the words for verse and chapter in Spanish, and our homework is to memorize the names of the books of the Old Testament in Spanish (I am having a hard time pronouncing them, let alone memorizing them).  We are also required to make a Power Point presentation on 10 interesting facts about the Bible and we are presenting it to the students next week at youth group.

Finally, we had our last Cooking Class.  We learned how to make “arroz con leche” which is a sweet dessert with rice, milk, water, condensed milk, powdered milk, cinnamon and cloves.  Eddie is not a fan, but the rest of us liked it.  It was fun to have Amanda and Rysen join us for cooking class this week. 
  
... and I just LOVE my two COOL boys!
Eddie was invited to go play basketball tonight with Silmer, Karen’s husband.  He said he expected the other guys to be about his size because he is the average-height of most Costa Ricans… That was not the case.  He was still the shortest one there: “Pobrecito!”  Samia, Freddy and I were supposed to go to our dance exercise class, but we heard it was cancelled… (it turns out that it wasn’t, but I that was God’s way of saying: “REST”)  I stayed home and put Jaden to bed early and just rested.

Eddie, on the other hand, had a bit of an adventure trying to get home from playing basketball.  He was at Silmer’s house and ran out the door to catch the bus, but the bus driver told him he wasn’t going to Tuis.  Eddie waited for a few minutes before he called Jennea to ask her when the last bus was.  She said 9:00… it was now 9:20.  He tried to get Silmer’s attention in his house and called his cell phone.  He didn’t answer.  Eventually, he came to the door to lock it before going to bed and Eddie called to him.  He had thought Eddie got on the bus and went home.  Thankfully, he was able to give Eddie a ride home.  Praise God for taking care of us, even in the small stuff!

1 comment:

  1. Really enjoying hearing all about what's going on. Thank you for being a faithful transcriber!

    ReplyDelete