Saturday, November 24, 2012

Thanksgiving Week

We have a lot to be thankful for, but most of all we are thankful for our Lord and Savior.  Without Him, we would be lost.  We are also thankful for the opportunity to be here in this beautiful country!  We have had so many blessings a long the way...

Monday, November 19

Our early morning Exercise Class came just a bit too early for us, but we made it.  Daniel led us on a run/walk up the mountain again, but it just doesn’t seem to get any easier.

Mom and Dad flew home from Miami at 9:00am and made it just on time for my Dad’s doctor’s appointment in Chicago.  Thankfully, he had a good report from the eye doctor, but he still has to wait sometime before his eye will be fully healed.

We have a new student at CISA starting today, bringing our total number of students to 6 (but Jennea is leaving in a week).  Her name is Deidre, and she is a friend of Amanda’s.  She is staying for 3 months.   She is one awesome woman with a cute Boston accent who speaks in a perfect Spanish accent.  She knows a lot of Spanish words, but struggles putting them together in conversation.  I believe she will learn quickly, too.

We enjoyed a restful afternoon after class and recuperated from our weekend adventure.

Tuesday, November 20

Today was a pretty low-key day at CISA.  We had Spanish Class and Bible Class where we recited the books of the New Testament in Spanish from memory.  We also discussed 15 questions about Genesis 1 that we had for homework. 

Kerlin, Samia and Gabby
Eddie stayed at school to prepare two more songs for the band to learn at band practice tomorrow night, so I walked home with Jaden.  While he napped, I worked on preparing for culture class where we are all doing a presentation on Thanksgiving.  We don’t have class on Thursday in honor of the American Holiday.

Una fiesta en la casa de nuestro para celebran cumpleaños de Gabby:  Samia hosted a party for Gabby’s birthday at our house in the evening.  We enjoyed another wonderful dinner and tres leches queque.  
Gangnam Style
There was also dancing in the kitchen once again, but this time it was Samia, Jose Pablo, and Eddie... Gangnam style...

After the party, Eddie and I had a late-night homework session because he forgot about the fact that he had to prepare for culture class.

Wednesday, November 21

Deidre joined us for our work-out this morning.  It was fun to have someone with so much energy join our “equipo.” 

We were all feeling less than prepared for our presentations for culture class today, but we usually have time in class to put the finishing touches on it with our teachers.  What we didn’t know was:  Culture Class was moved to 9:00.   It was now 8:20 and we were just finding this out.  We spent the next 40 minutes preparing, and when the time came, we were ready.  All of our presentations were about Thanksgiving, but we each chose a different topic.

1.     I spoke about the history of Thanksgiving and the process America went through for it to become a national holiday.
2.     Rysen talked about the history of Canadian Thanksgiving and how it was celebrated many years before the first American Thanksgiving.  Also, it is celebrated in October because the harvest in Canada is earlier in the year than it is here.  Interesante, verdad?
3.     Eddie talked about typical American Thanksgiving food… are you surprised?
4.     Jennea talked about typical American Thanksgiving desserts; aka: Pie.  She even made an apple pie for us to taste.
5.     Amanda talked about the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade and her family’s tradition of watching it while they cook all morning.
6.     Deidre talked about “Black Friday,” and how it is sadly taking over Thanksgiving Day.  I have to add, that I am more aware and more saddened this year that our country spends a day being thankful and then the next day being more greedy than ever.  I pray that everyone is able to focus on the significance of all that we have to be thankful for.  By the way, Deidre did a fantastic job on her presentation and she has only been here for 4 days.

Ana and Jennea
After culture class, we celebrated Jennea’s graduation from CISA.  We are sad that she is leaving, but we are very proud of her and how much she has learned and grown while being her at CISA.

After class, we ate lunch while discussing “who” would be preparing “what” for our Thanksgiving feast.  We were hoping to be able to all go shopping together for the food, but that just did not work out.  We did get a chance to invite the staff of CISA and finalize the number of people who would be in attendance.

Jennea had a hair appointment in Turrialba this afternoon, so I tagged along.  We needed to buy a few specialty items at the grocery store in Turrialba.  We found the rest of what we needed in Tuis and La Suisa (which was much closer.)




As I sat there waiting for Jennea to get her hair done, I was thinking “I want to get my hair cut.”  Plus, there was a woman there who had just had her hair cut there yesterday.  I loved it… so I decided to chop it off.  I didn’t even tell Eddie.
He retaliated by buzzing his head that night.
Once Jennea and I were done shopping, we loaded up our backpacks with our groceries and carried everything to the bus stop to wait.  We waited in the rain for about 15 minutes and when the bus arrived, it was packed.  I could barely find a place to stand, and there were three more people boarding the bus behind me.  The last person was basically standing on the first step next to the open door.  The lady behind me was practically driving the bus.  Eventually, some people got off the bus and a kind man offered me a seat.  That is about the time things started to fall apart.  Jennea was dropping thing out of her bag, I was bumping into people trying to get my bag off my back so I could sit, and people were staring.  It made me think twice about ever trying to grocery shop again.  To top it off, the bus was so full and it was so dark, Jennea missed her stop because she couldn't see it out the window.  We had an adventure, but tried to remember all along that we were thankful for so many things!  I mean… things could have been a whole lot worse, so I try to keep a smile on my face, even when my heart wishes for modern day luxuries that I took for granted before we moved here, like: my car.


 Thursday, November 22


Happy Thanksgiving… or as they would say here: “Feliz Día de Acción de Gracias!”

We had a blessed opportunity to serve those who usually serve us.  All six students of CISA made a Thanksgiving Feast for our teachers, the directors, our cook, and Jaden's nanny.
I woke up around 7:00 and tried to make Heath bar cookies before breakfast.  That turned into a more difficult task than I had imagined.  I ended up mixing the dough with my hands… I mean literally “hands in dough.”  I had fun and after the first tray came out burned, the rest were perfect and tasted delicious.

After breakfast, we got ready to go to CISA to meet the other students to start cooking.  We all planned to be there around 10 and try to eat lunch around 1:00.  Even though we did not have class today, the teachers had a meeting so they were there anyway.  Everyone was calling Eddie and I “loco” because of our “nueva look.”

Leaning Tower of Cheese-a

Deidre made the sweet potatoes (which were actually white), Amanda made the bread pudding and coquito, Rysen “made” the mashed potatoes and corn, Eddie made rice and beans and macaroni and cheese.  I made the honey butter (thanks Adama family).  Deidre and Amanda worked as a team to make 3 chickens.  Jennea made the apple pies.  We definitely had a feast.  I helped Eddie prep the cheese for the mac n cheese... this it my "Leaning Tower of Cheese-a."




Patricia, Diana, and Ana
... and Zeidy



Their last day together: La Maestra y La Estudiante




Everyone loved the food and we enjoyed the chance to serve and fellowship with the staff of CISA.   Daniel even provided the dinner entertainment… he kept appearing with different costumes.

After we cleaned up (thanks Rysen and Eddie), we hung out and Deidre even led a little Zoomba lesson.  We then had the brilliant idea to set up the projector with Eddie’s computer and have a movie night.  We pulled the couch out to the main room, hooked up to the sound system, and sat down with popcorn and snacks.   It was a relaxing evening and we are thankful for the opportunity to enjoy such luxuries!

One additional event of the day was the discovery that may possibly have a worm growing under my skin where I have a bug bite.  I have shown the bite to several Costa Ricans and have had many different opinions given to me.  Some people say it is a worm and has to be covered to suffocate it so it dies (like with tape).  Others say it is just a bad reaction to a bug bite.  Others think it may be an infected bug bite.  I don’t know what to do, but I am now treating it with antibiotic cream. 

Friday, November 23
Everybody needs a day to relax… we slept in until 8:00 today.  We ate a late breakfast and just hung out around the house for a while.  Eddie decided to go for a run because it was such a gorgeous morning… well, it wasn’t raining.  When he returned, he told me that Rysen and Deidre wanted to take a trip to Turrialba today at 11:00.  We decided to join them.  We ate at “Cocina de Betty” again because we enjoyed it so much when we ate there with my parents.  April and her family happened to be there too.  We had a chance to visit with her and she invited us over next week for coffee.

Next, we walked into town and just wandered.  We didn’t have much of an agenda, but Rysen did want to buy a cell phone and he was hoping for Black Friday sales.  I never imagined I would go Black Friday shopping in Costa Rica, but we did.  There were many more people in the stores and many stores had sound systems set up with people talking very loudly trying to attract attention to their stores.  It was more obnoxious than inviting, in my humble opinion.

We snacked on pastries and I visited two pharmacies to try to diagnose my bug bite.  We took the 4:00 bus home and had a relaxing evening.  We ate dinner with José Pablo and Freddy.  While I was washing the dishes, Freddy was asking me about our Thanksgiving dinner yesterday.  He asked me why we didn’t make turkey, and I was trying to tell him that it takes a long time to cook a turkey.  I was also trying to say that the ovens here are small only I said the word for “urinate” instead of the word for “oven.”  Wow… that was an embarrassing mix-up!  The evening ended with a movie night with José Pablo.   We watched "Lockout."

Saturday, November 24
Since the months of November and December are very rainy here, there is not much of a chance for our cloths to dry out in the sun.  Samia has been worried all week about running out of clean, dry cloths for her family.  Since they do not have a dryer, she did several loads of laundry this morning, and Freddy drove me over to Amanda's house for a couple of hours so that I could dry all of the clothes in her dryer.  It has been an enjoyable and relaxing afternoon.  Jaden took a nap, and I caught up on my blog...  Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment