Saturday, November 10, 2012

Un milagro de Dios: A Miracle from God

 Thursday, November 8

On our way to class today, we encountered a horse and a few cows.  There’s nothing like seeing the look on Jaden’s face when he sees something new:
Thursdays have become our busiest days.  We had quite a bit to prepare for today:

     1.     Culture Class Presentations: I felt so much more comfortable with speaking without notes today.  Rysen (who is sick with a cold and I think he has a fever) and I talked about the differences between Costa Rica and USA (and Canada).   Amanda and Eddie did a presentation on the typical foods and music of a Puerto Rican Christmas; complete with two songs and a taste of some delicious coquito.  Jennea’s presentation was on words that are the same in Spanish and English.

Cool bug we saw while we were eating lunch.
      




      2.     Bible Class: We had to memorize the books of the Old Testament in Spanish and prepare a presentation with 10 interesting things about the Bible.  We found out today that we will have to present it in front of the whole church (we originally thought it would be in front of just the youth group) in a few weeks.  During class, we recited the Books of the O.T. and then Hector asked us to write the Lord’s Prayer in Spanish in our notebook.  We are learning the structure of prayer, because praying in another language is the hardest thing to learn.  Our homework is to learn various phrases and words we would use for God’s name, to praise Him, to request needs of Him, and to confess all in Spanish.  We also practiced writing a simple prayer following the structure of the Lord’s Prayer.  It was more difficult than I expected it to be, but we are so glad to learn it because it is so important.


Being silly!!!
     3.  Cooking Class: actually Eddie and I are finished with our cooking class but Rysen and Amanda had a class today where they learned how to make “arepas con banano.” (Banana pancakes) 
  
     4.     Dance class:  we didn’t get to go tonight because Samia and Freddy have had such a busy week.  Eddie went to play basketball again.  This is becoming routine… but I am enjoying the new routine.

I got a few snuggles with Jaden tonight and we both fell asleep waiting for Eddie to come home.  I miss those moments with my baby… so it was nice that he let me snuggle him to sleep tonight.

Freddy, Ivone, and Jaden playing "Ring Around the Rosie"







Friday, November 9
This morning was the FIRST day Jaden slept in.  He woke up at 6:30!!!  I could get used to this!  We were joined at breakfast by Freddy and José Pablo… Freddy took a vacation day today and the family had some errands to run in Turrialba.  Eddie and I hung out at the house and cleaned our room and studied. 

While Jaden was napping, I also had the special treat to speak on the phone with one of my favorite friends!  The connection was so good, it felt like we were just minutes away instead of hours.  I forgot just how much I like to chat with my girlfriends!  Thank you, Whitney, you made my day!

We made plans this evening to eat dinner at Amanda and Jennea’s house (who, by the way, now live together.)  Jimena was going to work at the restaurant while Samia, Freddy and José Pablo went to a dinner/dance for José Pablo’s graduation.  My only regret was that I did not get to see this beautiful family all dressed up for the occasion L   Last night, when I put Jaden to bed and headed there myself, Samia did not have a dress picked out to make.  When I woke this morning, the dress was finished!!!  She either has tiny elves that help her or she is an amazing seamstress… I believe it is the latter!  Earlier this week, she also made a suit jacket for José Pablo, just by looking at one in a store and buying the same material.  She truly is Amazing!  I will try to get pictures to post if I can…

This is the game from last weeks:
HUMAN KNOT
We got a full tour of Amanda and Jennea’s house today, and then they made us dinner.   I find it ironic that the one food I was dreading eating when we were preparing to move here was “plátanos maduros.”  Now, I LOVE them and cannot get enough of them.  I didn’t like them before; now they are like dessert to me!  (Thanks, Amanda, for the delicious meal.  And, thanks, Jennea, for being on dish-duty!)

We went to youth group tonight and Eddie planned the game: “Sip and Spit.”  For those of you who don’t know, this is a game that Eddie and Amanda made up when they were kids.  They would take a mouthful of water (one from the sink and the other from the bathtub) and turn around and look at each other.  The first one to laugh and spit all their water out was the looser.  Now, this game is famous among youth groups everywhere (okay, not everywhere… Just Florida, North Carolina, and now Costa Rica).  The evening ended with Eddie vs. Hector, and they were each doing silly things to try to make each other laugh… lets just say, Hector “crossed the line” and even Eddie couldn’t maintain his composure… Eddie lost.  The kids love these games, but I think Hector loves them even more!

Saturday, November 10
We actually stayed in bed until 7:45 today… it sure felt good to sleep in a bit.  Poor Freddy and José Pablo left the house at 3:30 am to join José Pablo’s fútbol team on an 8-hour bus ride for a game on Sunday morning.  Then they are coming back Sunday night… Tonight, they are sleeping on the floor in a gymnasium… Pobrecitos! 

After breakfast, Eddie and I spent some time studying again.  While Jaden napped, we got a lot of homework done for our Bible class.  We tried to study as much as possible today because tomorrow:  MY PARENTS ARRIVE!  We will be spending a lot of time with them this week so we tried to get ahead a little on our homework.

This afternoon, Eddie and Rysen had some playtime again.  They wore themselves out playing fútbol and Frisbee.  Jaden joined them on the field and had two ant-bite attacks.  The first one, I even had to strip him down to his diaper because they got into his socks, shirt and shorts.  Poor baby… he never cried though.  The other incident happened because he put his hand right into an anthill.  I hope he has learned not to go near them anymore.
Baby Maria Celeste

After a shower and a quick nap for Jaden, we headed to a Saturday night church service.  This week, the building is being rented out for Sunday morning, so they switched church to Saturday evening instead.  Eddie had to be there early for band rehearsal, and Jaden got in on the action:

The sermon was about building your house on “The Rock.”  Eddie and Amanda sang with the band again, and Hector also sang some songs.  After the sermon, we witnessed our first Costa Rican Baby Dedication (actually first two.) 

Baby Noah
There was also a time in the service for Ariel and his mom to share Ariel’s story and their gratitude to God and the church.  Ariel is a teenager in the church who was deathly ill with a bacterial infection only a few months ago.  Two weeks ago, he was able to return home from the hospital after weeks and months of hospitalization.   When he returned to church for the first time, even I was moved emotionally.  Even though I didn’t even know Ariel, I knew a little bit of his story.  When he entered the building during a song of praise, you could feel the excitement, emotion, and praise in the air.   The “Ticos” worship God unashamedly here… it is so refreshing!

Tonight, even though I could not understand much of what was being said, it was still a blessing to be a part of such a special night for that family.  He is a miracle of God!



Afterward, we all ate arroz con pollo, pasta salad, potato chips and cake!  At least one thing is familiar: you can’t have a church gathering without a little food to go with it.

 PS:  I miss Kristen Bloodgood's cake!














And since we are on the topic of babies, check out this cutie!!!
This if Felipe, and he is about 3 months old… his mom is the woman who cut my hair earlier.  He even has a buzz-cut… such a sweet boy!

No comments:

Post a Comment