Monday, January 7, 2013

Christmas Travels


Friday, December 21

Traveling for Christmas… it’s what EVERYBODY does, right?  Well, that is what it felt like today.  We left Tuis around 8:30 am and arrived at the airport around 11:00am.  Our flight was at 1:30, so we had plenty of time.  We sat on the plane for about 40 min. before leaving San José, so we arrived in Ft. Lauderdale a little later than expected.  It didn’t matter though… our connecting flight was delayed 3 hours because of the “snow” in Chicago.  Turns out, our 4 hour layover would be 7 instead.  We met a new friend in the airport in San José.  Her name is Stephanie, and we ended up chatting with her and treating her to dinner at Chili’s while we waited for our connecting flights.  It was a delicious first meal back in the states.  Plus we now have a new Facebook friend (added bonus: she lives in California… I want to visit her and go see Ellen… maybe one day in my dreams).

Jaden kept us busy as he did not want to sit still.  He slept every time we were in a moving vehicle, so I cannot really complain.  We boarded our plane to Chicago at 12:30 am and headed home for the Holidays.  Overall, it was a smooth day… Just a looooong one!!!
Jaden on the plane at 12:30am

Saturday, December 22
When we arrived in Chicago, we were FREEZING.  We waited for our luggage, and my parents to pick us up and watched the cleaning lady in O’Hare Airport at 4:00 in the morning.  It was a new experience to say the least.  Jaden and I even saw a mouse in the airport.  It grabbed a cracker and crawled right into the vent while Jaden giggled and kept his distance. 

This is Jaden playing on the escalators with Daddy at 4:30 in the morning…
We climbed into bed at 6:00 am and Jaden did not want to sleep in his pack-n-play in this “new” room.  We snuggled him into bed with us and I did not wake up until he did at 12:20 pm Saturday afternoon. 

I had hoped to go shopping Saturday morning… instead we slept.  Oh well… now it was time to hit the crowded stores and do some last minute Christmas shopping.

My sister-in-law Megan agreed to accompany us and we left the kids with Grandma.  We speed-shopped and I was forced to make some fast decisions… not my favorite thing to do, but that is what happens when you wait until the last minute to do your Christmas shopping.  Thankfully, all went well and we made it home for pizza with the family.

Mom always hosts a “Deanna-and-Eddie-are-home” Pizza Party… I know; we are so spoiled.  I am always thankful for those pizza parties because everyone who can come to see us does… with limited time to visit family, I really do appreciate it when so many family members make the effort to come and visit us.  I know not all families are like that, and I am thankful to surround Jaden with such a loving and sacrificial family.  Thanks everyone!!!

After pizza, my sister and I headed to my brother’s house to help decorate the most delicious Christmas cookies ever: Jill’s Gingerbread Cookies.  They are my favorite, and I only get them once a year (unless I put in the effort to make them all on my own – which I have only done once in my life).  I loved getting the chance to chat with my nephews and nieces and brother and sister.  I miss being close to my family, so I am thankful for any “quality time” I can squeeze in… that is one of my top “Love Languages” in case you were wondering!

We also received a package in the mail at my parents’ house from two dear friends in Raleigh:  Thanks (you know who you are)!


Eddie appreciated the Beano.

No comments:

Post a Comment