Sunday, January 27, 2013

Salario Escolar


Thursday, January 24
Culture Class: Our topic this week was “Salario Escolar.”  It is the extra paycheck that the government employees of Costa Rica receive each year during the month of January to help pay for school supplies and uniforms for their children to start school in February.  To demonstrate it, Deidre and I did a short drama.   This is totally out of my comfort zone: not only did I speak in front of an audience; I played the part of a crying, distraught woman in Spanish!!!  We had fun with it and put a creative twist into our drama.  We even pretended we were on a novela (a Spanish soap opera).   Even though culture class is not my favorite part of the week, it is starting to grow on me!  I was proud of myself for doing my lines with zero notes!!!  I really am learning Spanish.

Hector cracking up thinking about him and Eddie
sitting at this little table by themselves drinking
their frapachinos...
I have realized that Costa Rica has really taken me out of the “world” I grew up in, and opened my eyes to so many new things.  For example, this morning Gatica made my new favorite breakfast: gallo pinto, platinos maduros, and fried eggs.  As I looked at my plate with excitement, I thought back to just 4 months ago.  I would have never wanted to eat one single thing on my plate.  I did not care for rice and beans all that much.  I hated platinos, and I have never eaten my eggs any other why than scrambled.  But now, that is my breakfast of choise… along side a plate of fresh fruit and a hot cup of agua dulce.

Eddie and Hector took a trip to San José today and didn’t get home until 10:00 pm.  They went to the music store to get some things for the band and ran several other errands.  They ate dinner at the mall and then headed home.  

Jaden and the puzzle-piece tower that Daddy built.
Jaden refrused to knock it down, that is until he
accidentally knocked it down.
One of the things that Eddie convinced Hector to buy was another guitar for CISA.  He wants Josué to use it to practice whenever he needs it, and it also gives the band a chance to have two guitarists. 

Amanda and I tried to get our tan on, but as always, the clouds came and ruined our fun.  We had a chill afternoon and headed to Zumba class.  Once again, the class was filled with the regular attendees and their friends.  Zumba class is always more fun and the energy level is higher the more people there are in class.   We are excited about Saturday’s class.   Deidre has been invited to teach a Zumba class at the gym in Turrialba.  10% of the money raised in that class will be donated to Chirripo. 

Jaden doing his homework...
Don't I have an intelligent child?








After Zumba, we had another impromptu movie night… Too bad everyone was falling asleep half way through.  I guess it is “to be continued” tomorrow.


OK... Just kidding, but he sure is cute!
Hanging out in Titi's fort.


No comments:

Post a Comment